Andy Cohen’s Quotes About Drinking During CNN’s ‘New Year’s Eve Live’

Andy Cohen — and his tequila — have been helping CNN make headlines since he took over cohosting New Year’s Eve Live with Anderson Cooper.

The Real Housewives producer replaced Kathy Griffin for the 2017–18 broadcast, joining his BFF to ring in the New Year on the lengthy show and introducing shots “at the top of every hour.”

While social media users always poked fun at Cooper’s facial expressions when he attempted to down the tequila, Cohen’s drunken antics made waves when he threw shade at Ryan Seacrest and Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve during the 2021-22 show. (He also made headlines for slamming then-New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio that same year.)

“If you look behind me, you’ll see Ryan Seacrest’s group of losers performing. … I’m sorry, but if you’re watching ABC, you’re watching nothing,” Cohen said at the time.

He later revealed that his Seacrest dig was his “only regret from the night,” when discussing the debacle on The Howard Stern Show.

“Andy said something he shouldn’t have on live TV. We’ve addressed it with him and look forward to having him back again next year,” the CNN shared in a statement.

As preparations for the 2022-23 show began, however, Variety reported that CNN chairman Chris Licht wanted to sober up New Year’s Eve Live.

“What [Chris Licht] said was that he didn’t want the correspondents out there drinking, but that he wanted Anderson and I to do our thing,” Cohen told The Hollywood Reporter in November 2022. “So I’m happy to do our thing. My only directive for years on CNN has been to have fun on New Year’s Eve, and that is absolutely what I plan to do.”

Scroll through for more from Cohen about drinking on NYE:


Anderson Is a ‘Lightweight’
While Cohen has been part of the show since December 2017, he made it his mission to get Anderson “very drunk” ahead of the 2020-21 show after the difficulties of the coronavirus pandemic. “He’s such a lightweight,” Cohen said on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert in December 2020. “If news breaks when we’re on the air, I’m going to be the guy that’s handling it. … It’s very authentic, it’s a very authentic experience unlike a lot of the pre-taped BS on a lot of the other networks.” Andrew Walker/Shutterstock
Being ‘Overserved’ in 2021-22
Cohen returned to Twitter on January 1, 2022, and admitted he was “a bit overserved last night.” When responding to a troll who called him “irresponsible,” he responded: “I made the choice to get drunk on New Years Eve and lead a virtual audience in a night of revelry to forget a very sh–ty year. Ashamed I am not. I had fun and so did others. Happy New Year.” Charles Sykes/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Regrets Ryan Dig
“The only thing that I regret saying, the only thing is that I slammed the ABC broadcast and I really like Ryan Seacrest and he’s a great guy,” the producer said on Sirius XM’s Andy Cohen Live in January 2022. “And I really regret saying that, and I was just stupid and drunk and feeling it. … That is what I absolutely, that I really regret. I really do.” ohn Salangsang/Shutterstock; Ben Hider/AP/Shutterstock
The Length of the Show
"It's a four-and-a-half-hour show," Cohen told Howard Stern in January 2022. "The booze started kicking in around 11:30. So everyone's focusing on kind of the last 45 minutes or hour that we were on the air. I kicked into high gear with 45 minutes left. So, we had done 15 interviews before that point." Evan Agostini/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Doesn’t Remember ‘Sayonara, Sucka’ Diss
“I gotta tell you something. It is super fun getting smashed on CNN and just raging on a soap box. … We got in the car after and I saw on Twitter the rant I did about de Blasio. And I did not recall, though it was about 40 minutes earlier, saying 'Sayonara, sucka' to the outgoing mayor of New York,” Cohen said on Jimmy Kimmel Live! in February 2022. “And I go, 'Oh my God' and Anderson said, 'What?' I said, 'Sayonara, sucka.' And he said, 'Yes you did!'" It wasn’t the first time Cohen had come for de Blasio. Shortly after the clock struck midnight on January 1, 2021, he declared he didn’t “need to see” the politician dancing. “Do something with this city! Honestly, get it together!” he yelled. Charles Sykes/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Going to ‘Party Harder’ Ahead of 2023
“[The headline] was, ‘CNN plans to sober up boozy New Year’s Eve coverage.’ The article does point out that Anderson [Cooper] and I are still allowed to drink,” Cohen clarified on WWHL in November 2022. “I just want you to know Anderson and I are going to party harder than we have ever partied before on New Year’s Eve! Do you understand me?!” Brent N Clarke/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Actually, No Drinking to Ring in 2023
As headlines continued to swirl about the plan for the 2022-23 broadcast, Cohen told Page Six that he and Cooper won’t be drinking on the air anymore. “We aren’t drinking, but we’re going to have a BLAST,” he said days before the broadcast. Courtesy of Andy Cohen/Instagram
Partying Is in the Job Description
“It’s fun for me because I’m a guest on CNN, so I’m like a visitor,” Cohen told Rolling Stone in December 2022. “I’m going to just march back to Bravo at 12:30 in the morning and be done with it. And so I can kind of torch the place while I’m there, and then head out.” The Real Housewives producer explained that it is his “job” on the broadcast to “take Anderson out of his comfort zone” and have a good time. “My job is to be a party ringleader for everyone watching us on New Year’s Eve,” Cohen added. “And that is what I will continue to do.” He further clarified that CNN wanted its correspondents to not be drinking, but that guideline didn’t extend to the cohosts. Cooper and I “will be the people partying on CNN,” the Radio Andy host continued. “And as a matter of fact, if the correspondents are not drinking this year, I will be partying even harder on their behalf.” Charles Sykes/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
‘Hopefully’ He’ll be Allowed to Drink Going Forward
Cohen shared his hopes for the 2023-24 broadcast, noting that he didn’t want to “be sneaking” alcohol. “I haven’t heard anything yet, but come on, they need to let us drink. It’s New Year’s Eve,” he told E! News in November 2023. “That didn’t go well last year in terms of viewer happiness about us drinking. People really cared and I hope CNN gives the people what they want.” Roy Rochlin/Getty Images

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luann de Lesseps: 'RHONY' Season 12 Is 'About Redemption' for Me

'Yellowjackets' Season 2 Teaser Features Chilling Flashbacks, Death and More

'Yellowjackets' Creator Hints at Season 2 Premiere Date