Captain Sandy: Fraser 'Doesn't Have the Experience' Hannah Had as Chief Stew

Rocky waters! Hannah Ferrier and Captain Sandy Yawn have had Below Deck Mediterranean viewers talking ever since the captain joined the franchise in season 2.

Although Hannah and Sandy didn’t always see eye-to-eye about how to run things on the boat, they were able to work together during charter season. In season 5, their professional relationship hit a turning point when bosun Malia White reported the chief stew for having Valium and a CBD vape pen in her cabin.

The captain divided Below Deck fans with her decision to fire Hannah — who had been on the show since it first premiered in 2016. After the controversial exit aired on Bravo, the twosome continued to make headlines with their back and forth about the situation.

At the time, the Australia native revealed that her former boss attempted to make contact with her since her departure.

“She sent me a message when I announced my pregnancy and asked for an address to send something and I didn’t respond to it,” the Ocean International Training Academy founder exclusively told Us Weekly in May 2021. “I sometimes feel with her … that she’s not honest with herself. Like she says, like, ‘Oh, it wasn’t personal,’ like,​​ the firing. I was like, ‘It’s kind of funny because Kat [Held] had prescription meds that Captain Lee had found out about and she didn’t get fired.’ There wasn’t a need to fire me for that. It was a hundred percent personal, but I guess whatever helps you sleep at night.”

Hannah noted that her decision to walk away from yachting allowed her to discuss the past, adding, “I think sometimes people get confused because I’ve felt this way and thought this way for many, many years, but the only reason I can kind of talk about it now is because I know that I’ll never work with her again.”

Sandy, for her part, explained that there was nothing personal about the firing.

“When the trust level is broken for me as a captain, I’m not taking anybody to sea,” the Florida native shared with Us in September 2021. “People [tried] to take my license over the years, really, because of things that happen [with the] crew.”

The former Bravo personality, who has been open about her struggles with anxiety, threw shade at Sandy when it came to conversations about mental health. In August 2021, the official account for Below Deck posted a clip of the crew discussing the “anxiety and worry” that came with newcomer Delaney Evans.

Hannah responded to the post, writing, “Hopefully you don’t need medication for that anxiety.”

Five months later, the former chief stew claimed that there were problems between the duo from the beginning.

“The way things can be edited — it was probably edited in a way where it looks like we were better than we were for the years before that we filmed together,” she alleged on the “Kyle & Jackie O Show” podcast in January 2022, about how her firing came off differently on screen. “We weren’t friendly at all. It was every season sitting down with production going, ‘How can we get these two working together where it’s an environment where they can [coexist]?'”

Scroll down to relive Hannah and Sandy’s ups and downs on Below Deck Med:


2017
Sandy replaced Captain Mark Howard during season 2 of Below Deck Med. The newcomer found herself at odds with Hannah as they butted heads over how things in the interior should run. The chief stew ended up in hot water with her then-boss when she secretly kissed a charter guest. Courtesy Hannah Ferrier/Instagram
2018
During their second season working together, Hannah's relationship with ex Conrad Empson created issues onboard. Hannah and Sandy didn't see eye-to-eye when she left with the guests after not working the day before due to an anxiety attack.   The captain, who stated at the time that she didn't want to work with the chief stew, ended the season on decent terms with Hannah.   Laurent Basset/Bravo
2019
Hannah returned in season 4 with the intention of getting back on Sandy's good side. Throughout the season, Sandy voiced her concerns with the interior crew not shaping up as well as the exterior. Hannah wasn't thrilled when Sandy asked if she still had passion for her work once the charters wrapped up. Courtesy Hannah Ferrier/Instagram
2020
While filming season 5, Sandy said that Hannah "learned her lesson" after their past issues on the boat. “She's a very different person than when we first started. She's growing, emotionally, evolving. It's nice to see," she told Us in May 2020, noting there was one issue that had already arose. “[Malia] walked in on Hannah talking about her. She's like, ‘I’m right here, Hannah, if you've got something to say, say it to my face.’ My concern was her and Hannah this season." Sandy continued: "And I'm going to see how that plays out, because obviously we all end on a great note, because that's how we want to end. Like we say our goodbyes, and now it's our hellos. Now we're going to see how well they do.” Later that year, fans watched Hannah get fired for not providing a prescription for the Valium before boarding The Wellington.   Laurent Basset/Bravo
2021
Hannah addressed Sandy's side of the story after the captain received backlash online for her view of the different departments. "This is the thing, nothing that she says like that takes me by surprise because I've known for years that's her view on the interior and on people who work on the interior," Hannah detailed to Us in May 2021. "So it came as a shock to other people, but it didn't come as a shock for me because I've always felt very second rate to deck crew and things like that when I've worked with her."   Courtesy Hannah Ferrier/Instagram
2021
According to Sandy, her former costar was "still angry" with her even though the firing was about Maritime Law. "It's so hard because for me, it wasn't personal. It's about my career," Sandy told Us in September 2021. "When a crew member shows me something and three other crew members are copied on it, my hands are tied. Yeah. I can't." Sandy added: "Hannah, she's got her dream. She's living her dream. She wanted a baby. Sometimes in my past, I have done things that I wasn't aware of subconsciously because I wanted out. But my behavior was the way out because I didn't know how to get out. I kind of feel, like, maybe that was some of her. But I wish her the best."   AFF-USA/Shutterstock
2022
Hannah, who previously welcomed daughter Ava in October 2020, opened up about why she never got along with Sandy. "What had happened is she had watched the show before she came on, and she made her decision about me on a few things that had happened," Hannah recalled on the "Kyle & Jackie O Show" podcast in January 2022. "I think it was like about 45 seconds from our first introduction they had to stop production and be, like, ‘Sandy, you can’t talk to her like that.’ Like straight off the bat."  Broadimage/Shutterstock
2022
In July 2022, Sandy weighed in on where things stand between her and Hannah now. “Hannah doesn't want any part of me,” she told Us. “I feel I'm happy for her in everything that she's doing. Honestly — I've never had a feeling of hate. It doesn't live in my heart. I wish her well, and for some reason she blames me, but you know what? I'm sorry. I'm not gonna risk my career for anybody. I wish her well.” At the time, the captain recalled her attempts to get in contact with Hannah. “If Hannah ever opened the door, of course,” she added, noting that her former costar doesn't want "any part" of it. “We've had great conversations in the past. Hannah used to come to my cabin often and I would hear a lot of her stories. So, there was a relationship there. But what can I do? I’m living my life. She's living hers.” Laurent Basset/Bravo
2023
"I’m confused why Captain Sandy isn’t more critical of the table decor this season?" a fan tweeted, referring to Sandy's stint on season 10 of Below Deck. In response, Hannah joked, "Because it’s not me." NBC (2)
2023
After filming season 10 of Below Deck, Sandy admitted that she couldn't compare Hannah's skills as a chief stew to Fraser Olender. "There's no comparison. Hannah was a chief stew and I just can't compare the two," she exclusively told Us, noting that Fraser was still growing from a stew to a superior. "I actually enjoyed working with Hannah. There were times where we didn't — but that's boating." Stephanie Augello/Shutterstock; Gregory Pace/Shutterstock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luann de Lesseps: 'RHONY' Season 12 Is 'About Redemption' for Me

'Yellowjackets' Season 2 Teaser Features Chilling Flashbacks, Death and More

'Yellowjackets' Creator Hints at Season 2 Premiere Date