What? Salma Hayek Nearly Spoiled ‘Secret’ Script for ‘Eternals’

Giving it all away! Over the years, some actors have made it a tradition to spoil details of their highly anticipated projects before they premiere — while others have done so by accident.

Tom Holland revealed so many Marvel secrets after being cast as Spider-Man in 2016 that there were later plans put into place to prevent it from happening again.

“The Russo Brothers are like, ‘So you’re just standing here, and you’re fighting this guy and just do whatever,’ and I’m like, ‘OK, who am I fighting?’ And they were like, ‘Well, we can’t tell you because it’s a secret.’ I’m like, ‘OK, so what does he look like?’ And they’re like, ‘Well, we can’t tell you because that would give it away,'” Holland teased during an appearance at ACE Comic Con Phoenix in 2018. “I’m just standing there punching the air for 15 minutes, and when I took the job, I didn’t think that’s what I’d be doing. I’ve gotten used to it now.”

Filmmakers Anthony Russo and Joe Russo explained that they had to take drastic measures in order to stop the leaks.

“Yeah, Tom Holland does not get the script,” Joe confirmed to IndieWire in April 2019. “Tom Holland gets his lines and that’s it. He doesn’t even know who he’s acting opposite of. We use, like, very vague terms to describe to him what is happening in the scene because he has a very difficult time keeping his mouth shut.”

The U.K. native isn’t the only one in the Marvel universe who has a bad habit of giving too much away. Mark Ruffalo made headlines in 2018 after he managed to stream the first 20 minutes of Thor: Ragnarok on social media.

“In all fairness, it was in my pocket, and they heard the first 20 minutes. 15? When I knew, first my phone was blowing up and I was getting all these texts and I was like, ‘I hope my mom’s OK.’ But I was like, ‘I can’t check my phone in the middle of the theater, that’s rude, especially in my own movie,'” the Spotlight actor shared on Jimmy Kimmel Live! in April 2018.

He added: “Then someone from Disney came up, a woman, and she poked me, and she said, ‘Turn off your phone!’ I said, ‘What, what?’ Your phone is on, turn off your phone!… So, I thought I was going to get fired.”

Ruffalo, who has portrayed the Hulk since 2012, didn’t get fired for the mistake, but he also didn’t learn his lesson. The following year, the Captain Marvel star teased what fans could look forward to in Avengers: Endgame — and he gave away more than anticipated.

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen. I shot, like, five different endings to this movie. I didn’t even get a whole script to this movie,” he told E! News in May 2019, before adding, “He gets married in this,” in reference to Chris Evans‘ character, Captain America.

Although some took that comment as a joke, Captain America did tie the knot in the 2019 superhero flick after traveling back in time to return the Infinity Stones. He decided to stay in the past so he could be with his love interest, Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell).

Scroll down to see all the other stars who’ve been caught giving away major spoilers about their shows and movies:


Tom Holland
The Cherry actor previously appeared at a screening for Avengers: Infinity War in 2018 thinking that the audience had already seen it. He revealed to the entire theater that Spider-Man died before they watched it for themselves.     Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Madelaine Petsch
The Riverdale star seemingly spoiled her character Cheryl Blossom's fate when she posted a screenshot of her being engulfed in flames. "Season finale next week! Cheryl dies!!!! Spoiler oops," Petsch teased in a September 2021 Instagram Story, later adding, "Oh s--t that was supposed to go only to my close friends."   MediaPunch/Shutterstock
Gwyneth Paltrow
Ahead of the 2019 release of Avengers: Endgame, Paltrow revealed that Pepper Potts and Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) would have a daughter in the film. "Pepper and Tony have had a real long journey together. She obviously starts as his dutiful assistant, and then the relationship evolves, and now this decade later, they're married, and they have a child," the Goop founder told the official Avengers: Infinity War Magazine in May 2018. "Their relationship has evolved in all of the ways that great romances evolve."   Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock
Jason Momoa
During an appearance at San Diego Comic Con, Momoa couldn't help but break down the final moment of DC Comics’ first Aquaman film. "In the last frame of this movie, you're going to see him actually become the thing he was destined to be," he told Entertainment Weekly in July 2018. "I think when he was a little boy, he had these powers and he didn't hone them in so this [was the] whole journey of him going to become the king."   Shutterstock
Mark Ruffalo
After accidentally live-streaming the first 20 minutes of Thor: Ragnarok in 2018, Ruffalo took the mistake in stride, tweeting, “I felt bad you weren’t there with me. I snuck you in. In my pocket.” Jeff Spicer/Getty Images
Sarah Hyland
“So I don’t read scripts of episodes of Modern Family that I’m not in, so I just found out that my grandpa’s dead along with all of you,” the actress announced via Instagram in January 2020 about Frank Dunphy (Fred Willard). “I still feel special.”  After fans took issue with Hyland spoiling the episode before they got a chance to see for themselves, she followed up with another message, saying, “Oh, yeah, I guess I should have put a spoiler alert for Grandpa Frank dying, but I was just caught off guard. As his granddaughter, you’d think I’d be invited to the funeral.”   Shutterstock
Sylvester Stallone
To celebrate 2015’s Creed wrapping production, Stallone took to social media to post a photo of his script. The only issue was that the last page gave away big spoilers about the movie, including that his character, Rocky, gets diagnosed with cancer. Kevin Winter/Getty Images
Mischa Barton
Ahead of The O.C. season 3 finale in 2016, Barton revealed that her character, Marissa Cooper, wouldn't make it to the next season.  "It’s true, it’s true. My character dies," she told Access Hollywood at the time. "My character has been through so, so much and there's really nothing more left for her to do."   Scott Roth/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Will Smith
Smith once revealed the entire plot of I Am Legend during a news conference in Tokyo. He thought it wouldn't be a problem since the movie was based on a book from 1954. Oscar Gonzalez/NurPhoto/Shutterstock
Hugh Jackman
“As soon as I saw the script, I got it,” Jackman told Entertainment Weekly in 2017 about Logan. “Logan is someone who is most scared of intimacy, and so he wants to be alone and do things for himself. The idea that, in the end, he must give his life to save someone else … I thought that was really powerful.”  At the time, Jackman didn't realize that he heavily hinted at his character's ending.     Kristin Callahan/ACE Pictures/Shutterstock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luann de Lesseps: 'RHONY' Season 12 Is 'About Redemption' for Me

'Yellowjackets' Season 2 Teaser Features Chilling Flashbacks, Death and More

'Yellowjackets' Creator Hints at Season 2 Premiere Date