Jess, Logan or Dean? ‘Gilmore Girls’ Stars Share Which Team They’re On

There’s a very specific question that’s been plaguing Us since the early 2000s: who should Rory have ended up with on Gilmore Girls?

To be fair, it’s a very hard question. First, we have Dean Forester (Jared Padalecki), dubbed by some fans as the sweetest first boyfriend there ever was. Then, there’s the one some view as the perfect brainy bad-boy, Jess Mariano (Milo Ventimiglia), who seemed to understand our heroine Rory (Alexis Bledel) on both an emotional and intellectual level. And who could forget the wealthy and charming Logan Huntzberger (Matt Czuchry), who swept Rory off her feet during their time at Yale?

Luckily, the cast of Gilmore Girls — who some might argue know the characters best — have weighed in on the never-ending Team Jess/Logan/Dean debate over the years.

When it comes to the boyfriends themselves, the actors’ answers might surprise fans. In April 2021, Ventimiglia and Padalecki reignited the conversation when they revealed they were partial to each other’s roles.

During an appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Ventimiglia showed off a sign in his office which read, “I [heart] DEAN 4EVER.” Soon after, Padalecki responded to the This Is Us actor on Instagram with an “I [heart] JESS 4EVER” sign of his own.

“Little bit of @gilmoregirls homeboy love!” he wrote in the post’s caption.

Czuchry, for his part, agrees with Padalecki. Still, he has some sweet things to say about his character’s relationship with the show’s leading lady.

“Logan, no matter what happens moving forward, will always love Rory,” the Good Wife alum told The Hollywood Reporter in November 2016.

Regarding Miss Gilmore herself, Bledel hasn’t announced her final decision when it comes to her beaus — a good thing, because we’re still holding out hope for another revival someday.

After Andy Cohen asked the Handmaid’s Tale star who she’d like to see her character end up with during a May 2021 episode of Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen, Bledel seemed to know exactly what to say before ultimately deciding to plead the fifth.

“J … eagan? I can’t single somebody out,” she said.

Scroll to discover what other members of the Gilmore Girls cast have to say when it comes to the timeless debate:


Jared Padalecki: Team Jess

“I’m Team Jess,” Padalecki told Us Weekly at the ATX Festival in 2015. “I admit it. I even told Milo. I’m totally Team Jess.”

DAVID MAUNG/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
Milo Ventimiglia: Team Dean

Ventimiglia has long thought Dean was The One for Rory.

“I’ve always been Team Dean,” he told Us in 2015. “Logan was a dick.”

David Buchan/Shutterstock
Matt Czuchry: Team Jess

The actor revealed his choice during the 2015 panel as well, saying at the time that he was “team Jess.” However, he also noted that he thinks the boys "each brought something out in Rory that she needed at the time.” 

After 2016's Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life left off on a cliffhanger when Rory revealed she was pregnant, Czuchry told Us exclusively that, while he knows who the baby’s father is, he’ll never tell.

“[Creator Amy Sherman-Palladino] and [executive producer Dan Palladino], they told me who the father of the baby was, and they said, ‘Yeah, you can tell whoever you want.’ And I never have because one, that’s for them to say. Ultimately this is Amy and Dan’s show and it’s [Lauren Graham’s] show and it’s Alexis’ show. It’s not mine. And so, for me, it doesn’t feel like the right place to say who it may or may not be,” he said in January 2021. “Also, if we do come back, they may change their minds. So it could become somebody else. Those are the reasons why I’ve never said what they told me on set.”

MEGA
Alexis Bledel: Undecided

To some fans’ dismay, Bledel decided she couldn’t single anyone out during a May 2021 appearance on WWHL. She’d also decided to stay neutral seven years earlier when asked the question.

“It’s unfair picking one,” she dished at the ATX Festival. “They’re all such wonderful actors.”

 

David Fisher/Shutterstock
Lauren Graham: Undecided … Kind Of

While Graham (Lorelai Gilmore) hasn’t said for sure who she’d want her onscreen daughter to end up with, she knows who she’d pick for herself.

“Milo. I'm a brunette person. Milo Ventimiglia,” she said during a June 2015 WWHL appearance after she was asked which of Rory’s boyfriends she’d want to hook up with in real life.

 

NINA PROMMER/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
Scott Patterson: Team Jess

Family over everything! Patterson (Luke Danes) is unabashedly team Jess.

“He’s my nephew! I love the kid, you know, he’s blood. I like Milo a lot. Not that I don’t like Jared or Matt, it’s just, I worked with him a lot and I always enjoyed it,” Patterson told Us exclusively in May 2021. “I was like a combo of Dean and Jess when I was growing up. I was soulful and poetic, but I also had that sort of edgy kind of Kerouac thing.”

He continued, “I just think that character [of Logan] is so smug. … Yes, I think in her DNA, she probably needs that, because she’s a Gilmore, right? But I don’t know. I think to honor how her mother brought her up, I think it’s a little more Jess.”

Eric Charbonneau/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Keiko Agena: Team Jess

Agena, who played Rory’s bestie Lane Kim on the show, also likes Jess best.

"I am Team Jess," she said during a June 2021 appearance on Patterson’s “I Am All In” podcast. "I say that because I always felt that the main problem with Jess is that he needed to mature and find some vulnerability. I thought that was his only flaw — and it's a big flaw — but that was something that would happen over time. I thought that with their chemistry together and the way that they matched intellectually their love for each other seemed genuine. And I didn't think that once he grew up that he would ever cheat on Rory or that sort of thing, whereas I always questioned Logan. That's the downside of Logan, and Dean was never the right match for her."

MediaPunch/Shutterstock
David Sutcliffe: Team Dean

Father knows best? Sutcliffe (Christopher Hayden) thinks his onscreen daughter’s first love was her best love — even though he doubts Rory and Dean would end up together.

“I’m partial to, who’s the first boyfriend? … Dean. I was going to say Jess, but I mean Dean. You know, I liked all the young actors that played her boyfriends. I know they’re not going to end up together but, Rory and Dean seem like a good couple,” he said during a June 2016 USA Today interview.

Mediapunch/Shutterstock
Rose Abdoo: Team Dean

Abdoo, who played mechanic Gypsy, has a simple reason for being team Dean. "He had the best car," she told Buzzfeed News in October 2017. 

MediaPunch/Shutterstock
Sean Gunn: Team Logan

Someone has to be team Logan, right? Well, Kirk was always an odd one, anyway.

“Dean fetishized Rory. He treated her like an object. Jess belittled Rory. He was condescending to her. Logan, despite all his faults as a human being, treated Rory as an equal,” Gunn (Kirk Gleason) explained during a May 2021 appearance on “I Am All In.”

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Yanic Truesdale: Team No One

Truesdale, who played Lorelai’s sassy business partner Michel Gerard on Gilmore Girls, told Us in November 2016 that he’d always liked Dean. However, he doesn’t think any of the boys deserved Rory’s heart.

“None of them are good enough, perhaps,” he said.

Christopher Tamcke/Shutterstock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luann de Lesseps: 'RHONY' Season 12 Is 'About Redemption' for Me

'Yellowjackets' Season 2 Teaser Features Chilling Flashbacks, Death and More

'Yellowjackets' Creator Hints at Season 2 Premiere Date