‘Survivor’ Alums React to Dan Spilo Removal: ‘They Made the Right Choice’

Survivor season 39, a.k.a. Island of the Idols, may go down as one of the CBS reality competition’s most controversial seasons after contestant Dan Spilo was removed from the game following multiple accusations of inappropriate touching.

At the end of the Wednesday, December 11, episode of Survivor, host Jeff Probst met with the remaining castaways to reveal that Spilo, 48, had been sent home. “Dan was removed from the game after a report of another incident, which happened off-camera and did not involve a player,” an onscreen title card stated.

The ouster came weeks after contestant Kellee Kim told Spilo that his touching made her uncomfortable, as viewers saw in the first episode of the season. Producers issued a warning to the talent manager on day 22, and he was removed on day 36.

Now, former and current Survivor contestants are speaking out about the controversy. “I am proud of CBS and Survivor for ejecting Dan from the game, especially considering it is so late in the season,” three-time player Ciera Eastin exclusively tells Us Weekly. “Ejecting Dan when there are only seven people left in the game not only affected Survivor’s timeline but affected all the other players’ games and relationships and strategy. I’m sure this decision was not taken lightly, and I’m proud of CBS for putting their players and their producers first.”

Ciera Eastin
Broadimage/Shutterstock

Eastin, 30, continued: “I think they made the right choice ejecting Dan. This season has been full of social issues we really haven’t dealt with in seasons past. And Dan was obviously given multiple opportunities to change his actions and when it didn’t happen Jeff was really left with no other choice. I have always felt safe and a priority to Jeff and all the producers when I have played, and I am not surprised at all that they would continue to put the safety of their players and crew first.”

Amid the controversy, Survivor will air a pretaped reunion show for the first time in its nearly 20-year history. According to Entertainment Weekly, the Survivor producing team decided to pretape the reunion out of concerns over security and the sensitive nature of this season.

“There has to be some reason they want to be able to control the conversation,” Eastin says of the prepped finale. “I know this is a sensitive matter and the first time they have had to deal with something of this nature. And I trust they will do what is right for the victims, for the show, and remembering Dan also has a family watching at home.”

Veteran contestant Benjamin “Coach” Wade is also sounding off on the situation. “CBS, Survivor, and all production and crew have proven that they have what it takes to be the ultimate survivor, in terms of ratings and longevity,” he tells Us. “If they are doing it, we can be assured that it’s for a damn good reason.”

Benjamin Coach Wade
Monty Brinton/CBS

Before the finale, scroll down to see what the season 39 contestants have said about the scandal and their own behavior.

The Survivor: Island of the Idols finale and reunion airs on CBS Wednesday, December 18, at 8 p.m.

With reporting by Kayley Stumpe

 


Kellee Kim

“While Dan’s dismissal has validated the concerns that I raised from the beginning of this season, I wish that no one else had to be subjected to this type of behavior,” Kim wrote on Twitter on Wednesday, December 11. “I’ve accepted genuine, heartfelt apologies from fellow castaways, but I’ve continued to feel disappointed by how this pattern of behavior was allowed to occur for so long.”

Robert Voets/CBS
Janet Carbin

“We all have learned from this situation and it is time to move forward for all of us,” Carbin wrote on Instagram on Sunday, November 15, after an episode aired in which castaways Elizabeth Beisel and Missy Byrd appeared to exaggerate their reactions to Spilo’s touching and seemed to manipulate Carbin. “I love and respect my tribe mates, ALL OF THEM, and I love that we were together on Survivor, one of the greatest shows on TV. I am thrilled I was selected to play, and I want to enjoy the experience. … [I] am asking at this time to accept, forgive, and move on to enjoy the show moving forward. There is so much more to see and enjoy what goes on. We need to remember we are all humans and this is a TV, but we all have lives outside of the game. I look forward to enjoying all of these people outside of the game.”

CBS
Missy Byrd

“I would like to thank Kellee and Janet for being so courageous and leading by example,” Byrd tweeted on November 14. “I became so caught up in gameplay that I did not realize a very serious situation, nor did I handle it with the care that it deserved. Due to the nature of Survivor, I was viewing the game through a small lens and with a limited scope. I did not have all the information and I made a game move that was unjust. To Kellee and Janet, I truly apologize for my actions. To all women, I genuinely apologize for my actions. This is a life-changing learning moment for me. Sexual assault is never to be taken lightly, and I’d like to apologize to any viewers that have been victimized.”

Robert Voets/CBS
Elizabeth Beisel

The same day, Beisel tweeted, “To Kellee: I was sick to my stomach watching the episode and seeing how much pain you were in. I wholeheartedly apologize to you for using your accusations against Dan for gameplay. In no world is that acceptable, and I take full responsibility for my actions, and lack thereof. To Janet: I deeply regret ever taking advantage of you in the game this way. Watching the episode, it was clear your sole intention was to protect us women, and I am distraught by the way I handled this situation. I am extremely sorry. To women everywhere: Sexual harassment and sexual assault are extremely serious, life-altering topics that I do not take lightly.”

Robert Voets/CBS
Aaron Meredith

“At no time in my life or in the game of Survivor have I ever condoned inappropriate behavior, or support those who do,” Meredith told Parade in an interview published on November 22. “I would never silence women who speak up against abuse or any other form of assault. I have dedicated the last three years of my life to empowering women. I strive to be a male figure who can show women compassion by listening to them and helping them grow and become the absolute best version of themselves. These are not just words; these are my actions that fuel my passion for what I do in every single day of my life. … This situation is an absolute mess in every way imaginable.”

Robert Voets/CBS
Jamal Shipman

“Take all these wonderful people out of the weirdness that is Survivor and every single one of us would treat the issue of sexual harassment with the sensitivity and care that it deserves,” Shipman told XFINITY.com. “For people who were really triggered by the episode, my hope is that seeing this distinction can be healing and allow for forgiveness and sympathy for the players caught in this uncomfortable intersection of real life and the game.”

Robert Voets/CBS
Molly Byman

“Yo, delayed but wanted some think time & convos before sounding in,” Byman tweeted on November 17. “1) really grateful I was able to speak with Dan over the summer & handle this touchy (sry guys) subject off screen. 2) really proud of everyone else for taking ownership, leaning into the issue, and caring so damn much for one another. 3) really glad @survivorcbs showed the messiness bc sexual harassment is much more than she said-he said-#canceled. 4) REALLY don’t want last week’s gut punch to define [season] 39 (for us or you!) bc the good-ass moments/memories wayyyy outweigh the bad.”

Robert Voets/CBS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Yellowjackets' Creator Hints at Season 2 Premiere Date

'Yellowjackets' Season 2 Teaser Features Chilling Flashbacks, Death and More

Best Delta-8 Brands: Where is Delta-8 Available Online